There’s no such thing as “easy money,” but if you know where to look, you can find “simple money.” For dropshippers on Shopify, ecommerce tools like Oberlo transform you into the perfect middleman between dropship suppliers and customers, a pivotal fulcrum point that makes both parties happy and puts cash in your pocket.
But how does Oberlo work, and is it worth the investment? Today, Divvit turns our analytical eye on this drop shipping business app to see if it’s as good as people say.
What Does Oberlo Do?
Think of Oberlo as a middleman for middlemen. The app connects dropshippers to AliExpress(and the Oberlo Marketplace) and lets them import products onto their Shopify store. In practice, the app makes it easier for dropshippers to find and add products to their site, opening up door after door for widespread collaboration with dropship suppliers all over the world.
So, while your Shopify store is connecting your customers to dropship suppliers, Oberlo is connecting you with new merchandise. It streamlines the entire process, enabling you to add hundreds if not thousands of new products with just a few clicks.
While other ecommerce tools offer similar benefits, Oberlo turns it into a science. As if their main contribution — facilitating the acquisition of new merchandise — wasn’t enough, their array of special features smooth over most of the rough edges.
- Fulfills orders automatically; all you have to do is set up the product in your shop.
- One-click importing — just click on the Oberlo icon in AliExpress or the Oberlo Marketplace to import any product to your store.
- Product page customization lets you add your own descriptions, images, product titles and prices.
- Shipment/parcel tracking and order fulfillment monitoring (on paid accounts only).
- Automatically updates inventory stock levels and prices.
- Switch easily between dropship suppliers so you can get the best deal.
- Pricing automations allow for bulk deals, etc.
- Multiple accounts for additional store administrators (Pro account only).
- Filter by the ePacket delivery method, ensuring you get only the fastest-shipping products available
Oberlo Pros and Cons
- Fast and easy. With Oberlo, you can set up a full-scale dropshipping ecommerce store, start to finish, in a single day.
- New products integrate seamlessly with old products, allowing you to create groups as you like.
- Free Starter Plan for under 50 orders per month.
- Oberlo doesn’t advertise or inform your shoppers that you’re dropshipping. You can handle that disclosure as you wish.
- Only works with Shopify.
- Sometimes imports the wrong description information, which can cause backtracking and double-checking.
- AliExpress harbors some questionable dropship suppliers; while they’re working on weeding out liability vendors, you’ll still have to use your discretion when choosing partners.
Whom Does Oberlo Help Most?
Well, dropshippers on Shopify. That’s pretty specific in and of itself, but as long as you meet that criteria, Oberlo can make your dropshipping business more efficient. But chances are, if you’re a dropshipper on Shopify and you source through AliExpress, you’ve probably already heard of Oberlo.
More importantly, Oberlo helps people looking to break into the dropshipping business, even those with little or no experience. Shopify itself is an ecommerce platform designed for beginners with a simplified, user-friendly interface.
Oberlo lets you build a complete store and fill it with whichever products you choose, and the convenient controls mean you can do this all quickly. And because the dropshipping business is inexpensive, the biggest risk is the time you spend developing your store.
Read our article on whether dropshipping is right for you, and if you decide it is, then it’s time to examine Shopify’s policies and seriously consider Oberlo.
Oberlo offers three pricing plans scaled to how many orders you receive per month. It includes a free option for budding stores.
Most features are available on all plans, even the Free Starter Plan. The exceptions are shipment/parcel tracking and order fulfillment monitoring, which are only available for the paid plans, and multiple users, which is only available on the Pro Plan.
Oberlo: Final Verdict
The main consideration with Oberlo isn’t whether or not it’s a good product. In our estimation, it is, but it’s not necessarily usable by everyone. That’s why the more important decision is whether or not you want to use Shopify.
If you decide to go with Shopify or are already using is, and you’re in the dropshipping business, then, yes, Oberlo is a good product for you. It makes all your necessary job responsibilities easier and even expands what you’re capable of.
Moreover, Oberlo can even be a gateway for ecommerce entrepreneurs to get their feet wet. Dropshipping in general can be a worthwhile ecommerce pursuit that makes money with relatively little risk. Oberlo just makes everything easier, from compiling a product list to getting the product pages set up. This makes it appealing not just to already established dropshippers, but amateurs with their nose pressed against the glass.